Convention Center Stagehand – Abilene, Texas
OPEN UNTIL FILLED Under the direction of the Abilene Convention Center Theater Technical Coordinator, this position performs routine stagehand duties.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED This position exercises no supervision.Unloads trucks and trailers. Sets up equipment for events. Lays sound and lighting cables. Operates sound and lighting equipment. Focuses and hangs lights.
Tears down equipment and reloads trucks. OTHER JOB RELATED DUTIES Perform other job related duties and responsibilities as assigned.Knowledge of: Stage equipment and stage safety practices. Rigging, general theater, and DMX protocol. Skill to: Operate hand tools to include wrenches, hand drills, tape measures, and chalk lines. Operate other equipment such as forklifts and City vehicles. Ability to: Understand and follow oral and written instructions without constant oversight and supervision. Use a sound mixing console and adjust accordingly. Operate or learn to operate lighting.
Establish and maintaincooperative working relationships with those contacted in the course of work, both internally and externally. Follow and embrace the City of Abilene Core Values – Respect, Integrity, Service Above Self, and Excellence in All We Do. Experience and Training Guidelines: Any combination equivalent to experience and training to provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be qualifying. Knowledge, skills, and abilities may be obtained through: Experience: Previous experience in the set up and operation of sound system / console, and outboard equipment is preferred. Experience in hanging light plots; programming automated lights; operate light board; troubleshoot lighting and cable problems/repairs; AC voltage systems, fly system fundamentals is preferred.
Education/Training: Educational background sufficient to understand work assignments, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the aforementioned knowledge, abilities and skills. License or Certificate: A valid Texas driver’s license is required.
Special Requirements: Essential duties require the following physical skills and work environment:
Ability to stand, walk, bend, and kneel during the shift. Ability to climb ladders, scaffolding, stairs, poles, and inclined surfaces. With or without accommodation, ability to lift up and hold 25 pounds and frequently lift and move up to 50 pounds. Occasionally lift and move up to 75 pounds of stage equipment.
Ability to occasionally flex upper trunk forward at the waist and partially flex at the knees while setting up stage designs.
Ability to frequently rotate upper trunk to the right or left from a seated or standing position in order to pull ropes. Ability to place arms above, at, and below shoulder height. Must have good hand, eye and feet coordination.
Requires occasionally working in areas of loud noise. Hazards include working on a catwalk suspended above ground level. City of Abilene Core Values Respect
• Demonstrating through our actions that we hold ourselves and our citizens in high enough regard to do what we say we will do, in the timeframe we commit to.
• Recognizing that everyone has dignity and deserves helpful, courteous, and prompt attention.
• Consistently doing what is necessary, expected, and required, and when able to do so, exceeding expectations. Integrity
• Possessing an unwavering commitment to doing the right things right. • Consistently adhering to high professional and ethical standards.
• Keeping commitments to our citizens, co-workers, and others. Service Above Self
• Being open and approachable to council members, citizens, and our fellow employees at all times.
• Treating our customers like we would like to be treated.
• Fostering a servant’s heart in ourselves and each other by conscientiously doing what is best for the community in all cases.
• Passionately committed to serving others.
• Helping to make our citizens’ lives better.
• Finding ways to say yes. Excellence in All We Do
• Delivering on promises made, taking personal responsibility for achieving community-minded goals.
• Leading by example, recognizing the importance of working together to meet everyone’s needs, treating everyone with courtesy, dignity, and respect.
• Sharing resources and information freely.
• Communicating regularly and honestly with council members, citizens, and employees.
• Having a can-do attitude