Assistant Project Manager
To collaborate closely with a Project Manager on the technical aspects of set construction and installation. This position can be a career pathway to the Project Manager position.
- Design and draw two and three-dimensional drawings of show elements as assigned by the Project Manager.
- Prepare project documentation as needed (e.g., onsite packet, element list, truck pack, game plans).
- Maintain a highly collaborative relationship with the assigned Project Manager during the project process including partnering in estimating, client communications, project meetings, and vendor coordination. Strong collaboration skills for client and vendor integration and interaction.
- Conduct design feasibility studies to solve technical design problems including thorough prototyping, estimated material usage, LED runs, and video integration.
- Compile data and perform dimensional and routine calculations required for the preparation of drawings and design layouts by others.
- Research a variety of issues throughout the project process.
- Source and procure specialty materials as needed.
- Proactively engage in the full project process including supporting the Project Manager in working with the drafting team to ensure build drawings, CNC files, etc. are properly completed.
- Work with the Floor Leads to review drawings and answer questions during the build process.
- Assist onsite with leading crews, building set as needed and overseeing strikes.
- Contribute to the development of a safety culture.
This position reports to Program Manager and works closely with Project Managers, Drafter Detailers, Account Managers, Floor Leads and Directors.
Desired Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic understanding of set construction and rigging.
- Solid skills in VectorWorks or other CAD programs.
- Knowledge of theater terms and operations.
- Knowledge of a wide variety of materials.
- Basic project management skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Strong math skills.
- Strong research skills.
Desired Credentials and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in technical design or related technical field
- 0 - 5 years of applicable experience in the set construction industry
- Maintain a valid passport
Those necessary for general office work as well as shop/onsite work that can include constructing and building custom projects.
- Primarily office environment, with shop floor and warehouse environment.
- Travel up to 40% annually
- Work at times outdoors or inside event venues